Ice House Under Construction

On Tuesday morning construction began on the Ice House of the Brinckerhoff House Historic Site.  Several months ago the Ice House was moved from the property of an old farm which used to be directly across the street from the Town Hall of East Fishkill.

When it was built in the 1870’s its purpose was to store ice over the spring and summer months for the farm.  Probably for a dairy farm, this ice probably helped to keep milk cold.

Inside of the ice house will soon be an exhibit of ice harvesting and the ice industry in the Hudson Valley during the nineteenth century.   There will also be local history of the farm which the ice house came from.  Once the roof is complete, the display cases from the 1785 unfinished attic, which used to hold the Civil War diary of Richard T. Van Wyck, will be moved to the ice house to hold this new display.

Here are some pictures from Wednesday morning.  In this shot is also the red 1820 One-Room School House which was moved from where the corner of the Taconic Parkway and Beekman’s Road intersects.  Behind the tree is the ice house.

 Ice House Under Construction 1

This photograph shows the front of the ice house.   Notice how the doors go up and down the whole façade.  At the peak of the roof there is a hook in which a pulley would be used to move heavy mounds of ice and milk up and down from the shelves inside.

Ice House Under Construction 3

From this angle, behind the tree is the 1885 Carriage Barn which was moved from the “John Jay” house which was owned and occupied by Van Wyck’s for many centuries.

Ice House Under Construction 2

Moving and Creating New Exhibits in the Brinckerhoff House

ImageThis is a picture of the Bailey Room in the Brinckerhoff House of the East Fishkill Historical Society.  The Board has agreed that it would be the historic site’s best interest if we made a new exhibit inside of our main building.

These two display cabinets were emptied and moved from the 1820 One-Room Schoolhouse into the Bailey Room.  Some documents of Robert Van Wyck’s war diary, from the Civil War, will be moved from the older exhibit, which is currently in the upstairs of the Brinckerhoff House. The display cases from the upstairs of the Brinckerhoff House will be moved into the newly moved Ice House.  Inside the Ice House, there will be an exhibit of the history of the Ice House, other ice houses, and the ice industry of East Fishkill (and the larger Hudson Valley).  A lot of moving around and working hard, but our goal is to have a really nice exhibit room for this summer’s season.

If you, or anyone you know, has any information on ice houses, and the local ice industry in the Hudson Valley, please contact us (or have your friends contact us) as we encourage involvement from anyone interested.